Friday, April 12, 2013

13 Weeks

Well, the weather is particularly crappy and I don't have good lighting in our place due to the storms passing through today...so no pics this week. Not much has changed, I promise. :)

So now that the cat's out of the bag, I thought I would answer the most common questions I get after telling people I'm expecting two babies:

1.) How are you feeling? Are you extra sick because there are twins? Not really. I've been throwing up once or twice a day but I mostly can't complain too much. I do miss the days when I don't experience breakfast twice! (sorry, that's kind of gross, isn't it?). I'm also hungry a lot. Like just today I had a bowl of cereal, a smoothie, felt sick from noon to 1, ate some mac and cheese and an apple with peanut butter. Decided I was still hungry at 2:30 and got a chick fil a salad. Was still hungry so I ate some Thin Mint cookies and a piece of cheese. And I'm STILL HUNGRY. Except we don't really have any more food in the house... so... I'm going to have to scrounge something up.

2.) Do twins run in your family? So something I'm learning about having twins is simply that people are fascinated by them so they ask questions that ordinarily I would think are a bit rude if you don't know me well. Sometimes this question feels rude because it feels like people are just fishing for information on whether or not they were conceived spontaneously or whether or not I used fertility drugs. Thankfully, no one has been tactless enough to just ask me whether or not they were "naturally conceived" like some friends of mine have been asked. (Side Note: Yes, the babies were naturally conceived. We just needed some drugs to help that along. Outside of using IVF, even people who use drugs have conceived the natural way. I promise. The drugs themselves don't just make you pregnant there are other steps involved, if you catch my drift ;) ). I know, more often than not, this question is probably not meant to be rude so I am working on it, haha. But to answer the question: twins run on my side of the family several generations back. Depending on who is asking the question, I might say that we needed some extra help and leave it at that.

3.) Are you nervous about having twins?/How do you feel about that?/Are you scared? Heck yes I am nervous and scared. But I am also excited. I think it's all within in the realm of normal to feel conflicting feelings about becoming a parent for the first time regardless of whether or not you're expecting one, two, or ten babies. In this particular case, I won't lie, my biggest source of anxiety is financial. We planned for ONE baby and having TWO is just going to make things a bit more interesting. We will be fine, so please don't think we're in dire  straights or anything. Just a bit more planning on our end, that's all.

4.) Do you want boys or girls? Obviously, I want two healthy, at term, over 5lb babies. But let's not be pretentious here. I would like two girls, or one girl and one boy. Brad would like one of each.

5.) Do you know names yet? Not yet. We have a few that we like, but we're waiting to determine whether or not we need boys names or girls names. I don't think the names will be some BIG HUGE SECRET but I also don't want to be pinned down on names until I meet the babies. I hope that's not weird?

No comments: