Monday, April 18, 2011

What's for Dinner? 4/18/11

Sorry there was no style file this week... My Grandparents came to visit me, and I spent most of friday at Colonial Williamsburg with them, so I didn't get a chance to do a shoot. Oh well, I'll make it up  next week! :) '

Lasagna is what's for dinner. I promise it's very yummy! Here is a "healthier" version that I make.

What you'll need:

Whole Wheat lasagna noodles
Extra lean ground beef, or ground turkey
1 egg
Italian type spices that strike your fancy
Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
Reduced fat Mozzarella Cheese
Spaghetti Sauce

First the prep work:
Boil the lasagna noodles according to package instructions. I think I cooked ten noodles. Also, brown the beef (or turkey). While you have all that going, crack the egg in a small bowl and add the ricotta. Mix it all together.

 In the ricotta mixture, add your spices. I used thyme, onion powder, garlic, parsley, and black pepper. The key is to keep adding and mixing until you can smell it.
 This is the sauce I used. I wasn't sure if I was going to need one or two jars, so I got two, just in case. I only ended up using one. In the bottom of a casserole dish (mine is 9 by 9) pour some sauce in. Use just enough to cover the bottom.
 On top of that, lay three of the noodles in the bottom of them.
 Spread some of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles.
 Put half of the meat on the ricotta and top with some sauce.
 Top the sauce with cheese. Reapeat these layers as you see fit. (I think on top of the cheese I did noodles, ricotta, meat, sauce, noodles, ricotta, sauce, top with cheese)
Mine was a total of three complete layers, I believe. I topped it with mozzarella cheese and covered it with foil and baked it the next day for dinner. To bake it, I keep it covered and bake it for about two hours on 375.

Enjoy!

No comments: