Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Apple Pie day

Today I made an apple pie. I even tried to make my own crusts. Tried being the operative word. The crust was tough and not flakey. :( I'm not sure what I did wrong. Any ideas? I also used the pie bird! The pie ended up bubbling over anyway, but I think it was more due to the fact that I didn't do a very good job sealing the crusts. The pie tasted pretty good, though, despite the bubbling over and despite the semi-icky crusts. Here's a pic:

 I did learn that I needed to push the crust down a little further. It made a gap between the filling and the crust. But it was still pretty good. :) I think the Pie Bird is cute.


This evening we went shopping. Brad needed to return a DVD he got for Christmas and instead got the copy of the latest Harry Potter on Blu Ray. He also went to kohls and got a winter jacket that was 130 bucks for only 32 dollars! It was the deal of the day! He's pretty excited about the jacket. No more borrowed winter coats for him. I also pierced  my left cartilage again. I had two pericings there at one point, but I had taken them out some time ago, and I kind of missed them. So I got one of them redone.

Other than shopping and pie baking, I haven't really been up to much lately. Just relaxing and enjoying my last few days of Christmas break! Tomorrow I am teaching youth group, so I have been working on that a bit. I'm also teaching next week. Jerod, the Youth Pastor, is getting married on Saturday. This week he's gone to go help with wedding stuff, and next week he'll be on his honeymoon.

Well, it's time for bed. I am exhausted!


1 comment:

Vicki H. said...

The pie looks great!! I think crusts aren't easy, they don't always turn out. I think the key to flakey crusts it to not stir it too much and don't use too much water.

Sounds like fun shopping!! A winter coat for $32 is a steal!! I hope that you enjoy the rest of your break.