Monday, March 7, 2011

What's for Dinner? 3/7/11

Chicken and Black bean Enchiladas are what's for dinner! I(loosely) adapted this from Betty Crocker. What you'll need:
2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can black beans
Spices (chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper, and cumin)
1 cup shredded cheese  
6-8 whole wheat flour tortillas
1 can 10oz enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso) 
First, start by cooking your chicken in your chosen method. Then shred it with two forks. Also, drain and rinse the black beans. Put both in a skillet like so and season to your liking. I used about 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp red pepper, and 1/2 tsp cumin. Put in about 1 tbsp of water and cook it for a bit until all the liquid cooks out and the spices are pretty well distributed.
  
 Next, put the chicken and beans in a bowl. Mix 3/4 cups of the cheese in with it.

 Take your tortillas, and add some of the filling on one side.
  
Roll them up and put them in a greased 9  x 13 glass dish (make sure you put them seam side down). Dump your can of enchilada sauce on the top of them. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes, put the rest of the cheese on the top of the enchiladas and return to the oven for about ten minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. 
These were soooooooooooo yummy! I served mine with salsa. :) Oh, and I had enough filling to make six. I had some beans left over at the bottom of the bowl, so I made a seventh just bean enchilada. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Vicki H. said...

Yummy! I need to try this!